Once again, thank you Pinterest for inspiring me to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new...this time with Mod Podge! Now, I have to admit, when I first started using the stuff I kinda hated it. But now I think it's safe to say that I'm seriously addicted.
I think there's a definitely learning curve to it and I would recommend doing a couple "practice runs" before tackling something that you actually want to...ya know...turn out presentable?
Not that I (ever) listen to my own advice...my first attempt was a definite learning experience...and I was "learning" on Mother's Day presents!
I had taken some photos of my nieces and nephews, along with Hunter to surprise my MIL with for Mother's Day - all of her grandkids together! It was a lot of fun taking the photos and I knew I wanted to do something more with them than just put them in a standard frame. So I started brainstorming ways to do a version of the photo boards I had seen.
I had two perfectly square (8 x 8) photos to work with and try as i might I could not find the right size wood at any store. So we picked up this 1/4" thick wood at Lowe's and my hubby cut the pieces up in a way that I could glue them together in order to get the right size. So here I am gluing! :)
I absolutely LOVE this type of crafter's glue...so far, I've only been able to find it at WalMart. It goes on super easily, dries clear, forms a super strong bond...yada yada yada...it's just really nice to work with!
Here's a shot of my mad scientist table..shipping tape, toddler clothes, craft stuff everywhere...yikes.
This photo really has nothing to do with this post, but I think any moms of toddlers can appreciate it. On the night I was working on this project I was looking everywhere for my keys, convinced I had locked them in the car. But when I went to check the car with a flashlight through the window, no keys. I was completely stumped. Usually I put them back in the exact same spot on the counter...I'm totally a creature of habit. I knew I wasn't going to have time for looking for them in the morning so "drying time" on the projects was filled with a massive key hunt.
Ok, back to the project...aside from the thin pieces of wood that I used for mounting the photos to I had also bought a 3/4" thick piece of wood that I had my hubby cut down to about 36". I then painted the edges super dark brown to give it a finished look. The next step is where the major Mod Podging (and learning) came in. With my first attempt, I had used glue stick to lightly attach scrapbook paper to the thick piece of wood and thought that by Mod Podging over it I'd be good. WRONG! I got horrible bubbles and the next day the paper completely lifted off the wood and I had to start all over again! So definitely use the Mod Podge for both attaching and finishing.
Thankfully, I didn't have to redo the photo mounts...and it was super easy to take them off for redoing the big piece because they were only attached with two of those awesome 3M Velcro strips. I TOTALLY love these strips...not just for picture hanging, but for crafts too! The other fun thing is that we could always change out the photos at a later date - just get new velcro strips!
So here's my finished product...it definitely didn't turn out perfect, but overall I was pleased with it. And I'm excited to attempt something like it again...it's just fun to think about all the possibilities for displaying photos!
oooo turned out awesome!
ReplyDeleteso so cute!! i've never used modge podge... can't wait to see what you do next :)
ReplyDelete